Friday, 20 February 2015

Hello, and welcome to my Art Blog!

My Name is Zoe Shelton, and I am an Illustrator and Graphic Artist based in Nottinghamshire, UK.
Well, now that you know who I am, it is probably time to explain a little bit about what I do.



I have always been fascinated by drawing, since the moment I was first given a pencil, and I have never put it down since (Although I hope that my technique has improved a little since then!).  Every school book, note book or blank space I could find would be very quickly filled with scribbles and doodles.  My love for drawing even found its way into my school projects.  Every time we had a presentation give, or a letter to write there would always be an accompanying drawing.  I actually found out a few months ago that my English teacher still has one of these drawings, and still uses it in class! I always knew I would be infamous one way or the other.  Whether it was science, math, history or french, my drawing was always present and always helped me to learn.  I decided to take my artwork to the next level, and studied the subject throughout my GCSE's and Alevels.  There was only one problem: what could I do with art?  I was always a very practical person, and although my heart was very clear about what I wanted, my head always got in the way.  I didn't see a career in art, and I felt stuck.  It was at this point that my art teacher came to the rescue, and told me about a course in Illustration.  I had no idea what that was at the time, so she explained it to me very simply.  It's art with a story. Now, I had always been obsessed with books, I always had one in my bag, and had to buy new books practically every week, so it was a match made in heaven thinking that I could possibly illustrate stories like those. At that point, I was hooked, and I applied for a course in Illustration at the University of Lincoln.  I was accepted, and worked very hard for 3 years until my graduation in 2012. 

Now, I was out of education, but where did I turn next? Its a big world out there and no job title for 'Illustrator' I didn't know where to turn.  So I took at job at a bookies, where I perfected my management and time handling skills, until I took part in a course called The Hive run by Nottingham Trent University.  It showed me how to effectively and efficiently run a business, and how I could take my ideas and skills to the next level.  So I decided to set up my own business, and thus Zoe Shelton Illustration was born.  Since then, I have completed book jackets, tattoo designs, bespoke wedding stationery packages, business logos/mascots, greeting card design and many more quirky commissions and projects. I also work part time as a graphic artist at MiRiCal Emblems, perfecting my skills even more, and gaining confidence in the workplace.  Eventually, I hope to study for an MA in Art History, so that I may teach the subject at an undergraduate level.


My main medium is Digital, as I complete more of my work using a combination of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.  However, I do use acrylic paint, photography and found materials in order to create the texture element of my art work.  I also hand sketch each and every drawing, to make sure every detail is correct.


So, that is pretty much me in a nutshell, a new illustrator with plenty of hopes and dreams, gathering the necessary skills and experience needed to make my mark in this world.  I am using this blog to share my knowledge and experiences, to help other artists out there learn from both my mistakes and successes, to share art that I find inspiring, and occasionally I'll find a pretty picture that I just HAVE to share!

So, if I haven't bored you already, then thanks for reading! I hope you will continue to keep up to date with me and my blog.  I can be found on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pintrest.  Feel free to email any questions about either the contents of this blog or enquires about possible commissions to zoe.l.shelton@gmail.com

Have a lovely weekend and I'll speak to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment